Friday, July 25, 2008

How to save the WORDLE!





















I created this Wordle for my brothers, Natalie & parents.  A little Tribute to the Troyer's in Indiana.   Abby, I LOVE Wordle.net.  Thank you for introducing me to it!  


I got a lot of response about the Wordles.  This is how to save it (from Wordle's FAQs):  

Can I save as a JPEG/GIF/PNG/etc.?
Wordle is a Java applet, and Java applets are not permitted to write anything to your disk. So, while the applet could generate a jpeg, it wouldn't be able to give it to you!

You can certainly take a screenshot of the Wordle applet.

Well then, how about a PDF?
Sure!

There's a "Print..." button below the Wordle area, on the left-hand side. Press it. You will be prompted to allow the Wordle "Java applet" to access your printer. Please check the checkbox that says "Always permit", and accept the dialog.

On the Mac, you'll have to press the "Print..." button again. Boo.

Mac users can simply "Save as PDF" from their built-in printer dialog.

Windows users will need to use third-party software to generate a PDF from the print dialog. Adobe Acrobat is fine, but I happen to use the free-as-in-beer CutePDF Writer. I have no relationship to the folks who make CutePDF, nor do I take any responsibility for anything that might happen as a result of your using it. If you do use CutePDF, you'll also need to install Ghostscript, a free-as-in-speech PostScript interpreter.

The PDFs you make in this way are fully scalable, and suitable for making posters, T-Shirts, what have you. Please tell me about anything interesting you've done with Wordle.


If you have a MAC, like me, once you save the file as a PDF, you can PREVIEW it & then go to FILE and choose SAVE AS.  Then you can change it into a JPEG.  (You can't post PDFs on blogger.com)  
Let me know if you need help!  -Kelly 

2 comments:

Keri said...

I love this!! Thank you for the link!

Jodi said...

Hey, I saw this on your Mom's site - It's awesome! Thanks!! :) (and thanks for the help with saving - I never would have figured that out)