Friday, May 30, 2008

Who built this house?

I don't want to forget this...
Two days ago when we were sitting at the table eating breakfast, Trey asked me, "Who built this house?" I told him, "Some builders." He said to me, "God built this house."

Recently, we have been talking about who made him and who made his sister. He knows God did. Then I always ask him, "Who loves you?" He answers, "God loves me." Then, "Who loves Baby London?" "God loves Baby London." I guess Trey is starting to understand that God creates everything. Even the house that we are living in. :) And God loves everyone. Especially Trey-man! :)

This is a reminder to me to keep building my "home" (myself & my family) on Christ.

Parenting is an enormous job. I am not just going to wake up one morning with perfect, obedient children who love God & who are fun, full of life & who love others. I think I have been surviving the first few years as a parent. I have been hoping & praying that I don't screw them up completely. I believe I can do MORE than that though...

My husband's job is all about helping others get to where they want themselves or their business to be. Why not apply those same principles to my own "job" of parenting?? After reading 1 chapter of Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp, I have thought through some things that I want. I haven't even talked to Jon about this yet, so I am sure this will evolve, but this is what I have so far:

I Desire:
*To shepherd happy, productive children.
*Children who are alert to themselves, others & life.
*A vibrant family.
*An exciting home for my children to be in.
*Bible & biblical truth blowing through the conversation's in our home & our family. (Not stifling, but refreshing & life-giving.)
*Our children to hold Jon & I in high esteem.

I welcome parenting tips & advice. :) My goal by the end of JUNE is to put a plan together on meeting the desires I have for my family. (Hold me to that!)

By the way...my husband is brilliant. :) Make his blog one of your favorites! http://drivenassociates.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly Bohm,
Dan and I have been following your new adventures regularly.. One thing my mom always did that I thought was really amazing was that she did not hide her past life and mistakes from us. However, she did not always provide all the gory details, just enough to get the point across. Knowing that Mom had made bad choices and mistakes made me especially feel that I did not always have to try to be so perfect. Not that she wanted us to make those same mistakes.

I hope you and Jon understand what I am trying to get across here. It's before 8 and my mind is still foggy with I dream I had last night.

We'll continue keeping track of the Bohms, and I think we are going to start a Dan and Kim in Seattle Adventures Blog soon, so I'll let you know the address.

We love and miss you all,
Kim Young

Loving Our Homeschool said...

Kelly, I'm reading that very same book right now. The first few chapters are so, so good. A different take on other parenting books I've read. Then I got to the chapters on discipline, primarily spanking, and I kind of lost interest. There is still good stuff in that part too, though. Not that I'm against spanking, but it's certainly not our primary form of discipline around here!

I guess there's kind of a "follow-up" book to that one by Ginger Plowman (I think that's the name) called "Don't Make Me Count to Three!" I want to read that as well. My friends said it applies in practical ways some of the ideas that Tedd Tripp's book talks about.

I love all of the pics on your blog! Your kids are cuties!

Heather

Kelly said...

heather-I have only read 4 of the chapters. It is great that we can learn from the parts of this book that apply to our lives, our children & our way of parenting.
I will check out the book that you mentioned.
-kelly